The pain of being a linguist in the terms of the ATO

Adriano Truscott adrianotruscott at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 21:33:20 UTC 2011

Excellent thread KJ, and responses.  I too was asked to describe what a linguist was - possibly the same guy, though probably not (did he ask you how many languages you could speak?).  In the end, I backed down and settled for "teacher".   And I've come across this before, as I'm sure have others. I actually think we should use this low level of awareness to follow Doug's desire and simply say that a linguist is someone who likes to linger around the shed, tent or wherever the person lives when they're in trouble for something their parter thinks they've done.
At the risk of sounding terribly sanctimonious, I find this ignorance/prejudice may also be reflected somewhat in the Immigration's Skilled Occupation List where working on (finger) nails, making shoes (when I'd imagine all shoes are imported), cakes or guns has more value than the work we do. Just how many more nails, cakes and guns do we need?
Saying that, TESOL is now on there I hear, which is very new and very good.