Changing Unicode Fonts

Randy LaPolla R.LaPolla at latrobe.edu.au
Tue Aug 23 05:40:12 UTC 2011

Hi Stephen,
MSWord often does not handle font changes properly using find and replace or even global font changes. There is a work-around, though, that I have used several times:

Save the document as .rtf
Set Word to confirm conversion on open
Open the file, but do not let Word convert it to the normal rendering, open it as “Text Only”
Then find the numbers associated with your two fonts in the header definitions (e.g. Doulos is \f25 in one document I checked), and then put the cursor  at the beginning of the main text (below the header) and do a global change with the change thing set to “document down”, not “document all”, changing the number from the one you don’t want to the one you want. Be sure there aren’t any fonts with, for example, \f252, that will also get partially changed. You can do, for example, \f25\ and \f25 \ and then see if there are others that got missed if you do find a font with a similar number in your header.

A bit complicated, but it works!

Best always,
Randy

---