Toolbox crossovers vs parallels

Aidan Wilson aidan.wilson at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Dec 7 01:00:17 UTC 2011

Hi Margaret,

I run Toolbox using a virtual machine through VirtualBox, a VM cient written by
Sun Microsystems some time ago and since bought by Oracle. It's still free, but
you need to have an operating system to install on it. Windows XP is usually
quite easy to find.

I've never used Crossover, but I've seen others use it an seen how clunky it
can be to load software in it. Emulators in general I think can be a bit
awkward, but then again so can running an entire virtal machine for one
program.

One good thing about virtualbox is that it has seamless integration with the
host operating system, so I can now copy-paste between windows and mac, and I
can 'hide' the windows background and auto-hide the start bar, so it's
essentially invisible, but the toolbox windows sit in the same space as
everything else. You can also mount local (host machine) directories, such as
your entire home directory, on the guest machine so they render as networked
folders (on a virtual network between the host and the guest).

When I first used virtualbox, I created a disk image that had just about
everything stripped out of it (IE, outlook, windows 'live' things, office
things, etc.) so that it was a really small operating system. Despite this it's
still a huge space hog. And you also have to allocate a certain amount of ram
to it for when it's running, but as I only have a couple of things on it
(toolbox and any other program I need that isn't available on Mac) it generally
only needs 512MB ram. If your computer has 2GB at least then this is a
negligible loss.

The benefits of using a virtual machine increase when you need to add more
programs, in my opinion.

Can't speak to parallels, but I've used VM ware fusion and I think the free and
open-source Virtal Box is superior to it in every conceivable way.

--
Aidan Wilson

PhD Candidate in Linguistics
School of Languages and Linguistics