Online dictionary

Aidan Wilson aidan.wilson at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Dec 8 22:52:04 UTC 2011

Hey Greg,

You could approach ANU and ask them to host the dictionary, couldn't you? I
mean, it's research output and stuff so they should be bending over backwards
to host it. If they give you a really opaque address like
anu.edu.au/homes/~wamut/pro.dev-host1.caligula/dictionary.html or some such
nonsense, then you could register a better name and map it onto whatever space
they allocate for it, so it would render as youdomain.com.au/dictionary or
whatever you want.

You might also want to find out if ANU has a domain registry thing going on or
if they just register theirs with commercial companies.

AIATSIS is another option.

Given the minuscule amount of space needed to host a dictionary (even with
sound files, recorded example sentences and so forth) it wouldn't be a bad idea
if someone bit the bullet and bought space and offered hosting to others'
dictionaries.

As for the html question, it really depends what lexique pro spits out, as John
mentioned. Maybe post a single entry, along with the header and footer of the
dictionary so we can see?

--
Aidan Wilson

PhD Candidate in Linguistics