Alternate for Keyman on a Mac Re: Crossovers and parallels

#HIRAM RANDALL RING# HIRAM1 at e.ntu.edu.sg
Sun Dec 11 16:23:18 UTC 2011

Hi Claire,

  If you start Ukelele, create a new keyboard file, then open the character map on your Mac; hold down the 'alt-option' key on your Mac, you'll notice the keyboard layout in Ukelele will change; while holding down the 'alt-option' key you should be able to simply drag and drop characters from the open character map to any key on the Ukelele keyboard layout.

  I created a keyboard layout this way so that holding 'alt-option'+'n' gives me IPA 'eng'. using the 'alt' key combination theoretically gives you 49 keys available for re-mapping. If that's not enough, hold down 'alt'+'shift' (might be useful for diacritics, for example) and Ukelele gives you another 49 keys to drag-drop Unicode characters to. It's true dead keys don't work (if you're used to keyman it might be difficult to relearn), but given the option of keys like 'alt' that work very much like the shift key on a standard keyboard, I consider it a small price to pay for being able to enter odd characters directly into Toolbox or any other document on my Mac.

Regards,
Hiram