RNLD Twitter - Siraya grammar and lexicon

Peter J Keegan pjkeeganwh at xtra.co.nz
Wed Dec 21 23:51:12 UTC 2011

Thanks for Chun for the update on efforts to advance Siraya, it is
encouraging to learn that
a lot is being done.

Thanks also to the others who replied to my comments. A number of people
replied
to me off-list detailing excellent efforts to make resources accessible
and useful for
indigenous communities.

I think that there are major differences between producing/disseminating
dictionaries/lexical
resources and producing linguistic descriptions, e.g., grammars of
(endangered) languages.

I suspect that if language is taught widely and over many years teachers
will eventually
produce/contribute to reference/pedagogical grammars that are useful for
those who haven't
had a lot of linguistic training.

I am reasonably confident that as eBooks become more common and
reasonably priced that
more academics etc. will take a stand and boycott publishing houses that
sell books at exorbitant
prices.

It seems to me (I might be wrong here) that there is both little
rigorous evaluation and a lack of
evaluative capacity for ensuring that language resources produced for
indigenous groups are
in fact useful and used appropriately.

regards,

Peter J Keegan