Solar panels

Xavier Barker meibitobure.gaunibwe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 20:24:55 UTC 2011

Agree with the battery-life issue.  With the wireless and bluetooth turned off, you might get close to six hours on a full charge with a macbook, slightly less (around 4) with the MBP.  Battery life seems to have been negatively effected by the update to 10.6.6 as well.  Either way, with careful management of your Apple battery, you still shouldn't expect much more than four hours.  On the PC side, i can confirm an INspiron mini and Aspire One 753 will both get me through most of the day without a charge.  THat means i put it through about eight hours of 'work' (most of what i do is through a browser or vnc client. Hardly fair to suggest i'm putting it through its paces).   The best bit about the netbook is that 19V models, as i've said, will run happily in a 12V DC environment without the need for inversion.

At 12 hours battery life plus, can i not convince anyone of the likely benefit of an iPad over a PC/Mac?  if you're considering a netbook, you give away processing power for  size/weight/power consumption anyway, so the argument for facility/greater functionality is probably not going to hold up.  It works for some already - did i read Peter Austin is using it? I know I can perform most of my duties on an iPad just as well as my MBP or a netbook.