input methods for smartphones

Tom Honeyman t.honeyman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 23:50:51 UTC 2011

Hi Bill,

There are a number of different platforms - Symbian, iOS, Android,
Windows Mobile are some of the main ones. Each one has a different
infrastructure. You'd have a lot of programming to do.

It'd be a hack, but maybe an implementation in HTML5 might work?
Pretty much all smart phones have web browser support. Many have
cut'n'paste support. But then I have no idea about getting custom
fonts onto these phones. There appears to be a block in unicode for
these scripts, but I imagine the fonts installed on these phones would
not support these less common blocks.

Cheers,

Tom