Fieldworks or Toolbox?

Nick Thieberger thien at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jan 26 21:26:40 UTC 2011

Terry,

If someone is starting out now on a new project and has to invest time
in learning new software then  that time is best spent on learning
Fieldworks. Toolbox is wonderful and I am still using it for all of my
texts and dictionary projects, and I know that it has a simple file
structure that allows my files to be accessible and to migrate to new
formats. Fieldworks has a database at its core and Toolbox uses lookup
functions to make links work and that is enough of a difference to
make me want to use Fieldworks (if I ever get around to swapping
over!). Having said that, Toolbox runs on my Mac (under Crossover) and
Fieldworks needs a whole Windows emulator.

Nick