[Australia] New federal parliamentary inquiry on Indigenous languages

Nick Thieberger thien at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jul 8 04:40:43 UTC 2011

Friday 8 July 2011

Language learning in Indigenous communities

The role of Indigenous languages in Closing the Gap and improving
outcomes for Indigenous communities is the subject of a new inquiry by
the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Aboriginal and
Torres Strait Islander Affairs. The inquiry will examine the benefits
of giving recognition to Indigenous languages, and how Indigenous
languages can used in education to improve competency in English. In
addition, the inquiry will examine current maintenance and
revitalisation programs for Indigenous languages.

This is the first parliamentary inquiry to examine the direct
contribution that the learning of Indigenous languages can make to
overcoming disadvantage and achieving competency in English. The Chair
of the Committee Mr Shayne Neumann MP stated, "This is a topical
inquiry to be launching during NAIDOC week - a week in which we
celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Australia's
Indigenous people. Language is such an important part of a person's
culture and identity. By examining how we can give attention and
proper recognition to Indigenous languages in Australia, we are also
walking the path of reconciliation by giving attention and proper
recognition to Indigenous cultures and identities."

Mr Neumann added, "Our Committee's recent report into the
overrepresentation of Indigenous youth in the criminal justice system,
Doing time - time for doing, found that self-healing and connection to
culture programs have been highly effective in getting people back on
track. Additionally we found that Indigenous language interpreting and
translating services were inadequate, particularly in remote
communities."

 "There seems to be a belief in Australia that we are a monolingual
nation and that only Standard Australian English can benefit a person,
both educationally and vocationally. If we look outside of Australia,
the evidence is overwhelmingly to the contrary.  The benefits of being
able to speak multiple languages are tangible, particularly in Europe.
The Committee aims to look at what's working, as well as looking for
innovative measures to improve competency in English in communities
where English is a second language."

The Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous
Affairs and the Minister for the Arts have asked the Committee to
inquire into and report on language learning in Indigenous
communities. The Committee will broadly examine the benefits of giving
attention and recognition to Indigenous languages, with a focus on:

·         The contribution of Indigenous languages to Closing the Gap
and strengthening Indigenous identity and culture

·         The potential benefits of including Indigenous languages in
early education and measures to improve English competency and
education outcomes in Indigenous communities

·         The effectiveness of current maintenance and revitalisation
programs for Indigenous languages, and

·         The effectiveness of the Commonwealth Government Indigenous
languages policy in delivering its objectives and relevant policies of
other Australian governments.

The Committee invites submissions to the inquiry by 19 August 2011.
The Committee will be sending out invitations for submissions from a
range of organisations and people next week, and will be distributing
a questionnaire to over 100 community-based Indigenous language
projects. For the full terms of reference and advice on making
submissions see the Committee's website at www.aph.gov.au/atsia or
contact the committee secretariat on (02) 6277 4559.