Dropoutbox

Xavier Barker meibitobure.gaunibwe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 03:22:53 UTC 2011

Hi Margaret,

Dropbox does let you access your files through a browser still which would be the workaround for most occasions.  Sugarsync and livedrive offer similar services and, if you're not averse to Micro$oft products then LiveMesh is a good free 5GB option which also offers access to your files through a browser as well as the handy feature of being able to remote access your main computer.  The best of them all though is Ubuntu One; open source, syncs not jsut files but contacts, calendars, notes and bookmarks as well.  It costs but is worth it and will soon be available for Windows clients.  SpiderOak is another free one.  Unlike LiveMesh, Ubuntu One and Dropbox, it does not have a mobile client.  In its favour though is its extremely secure encryption.  The password you make for it is made on your PC ((M$,OSX or Linux)not in a web page)) and only you have your key. It means that even if your files are stolen, they are encrypted.  On the downside, if you lose the password, SpiderOak actually have NO way of resetting it or making your data available to you.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Xavier