Digital recorders

plichtab at msu.edu plichtab at msu.edu
Wed Jun 1 17:00:46 UTC 2011

Hello,

Regarding the recent question about inexpensive digital recorders, I believe that the Zoom H4n and Sony PCM-M10 are the minumum that qualifies for a quality field device. Of course, there are cheaper recorders that can get the job done. Of the two, I would recommend the Sony PCM-M10 due to its far superior battery life and a really good microphone pre-amplifier. However, it does not have XLR inputs onboard, so if you must use XLR inputs, you'll have to use the H4n. I have tested both recorders thoroughly, with a variety of microphones. Here are my reviews, if you're interested:

http://bartus.org/akustyk/H4N

http://bartus.org/akustyk/PCMM10

Hope it helps. Please, feel free to email me if you have any further questions regarding recorders or microphones.
Best,
Bartek Plichta
http://bartus.org