Digital recorders

Denny Moore moore at amazon.com.br
Wed Jun 1 17:58:49 UTC 2011

Well, in the Amazon region of Brazil the Zoom H4n has held up well--
no problems as yet.  It does have a 'stamina' setting to conserve
batteries but we haven't used it.  Its appeal, for the price, is the
quality of the built-in stereo mike and the fact that it has XLR
inputs and phantom power for professional microphones.  We use is
with a headworn Shure WH20-XLR microphone (recommended by a
phonetician) when it is necessary to exclude ambient noise and record
one person.  The signal on that microphone is a bit weak but it
reduces noise very efficiently and the track can be normalized (on
the Zoom H4n or via sound editing program) without having much
amplified noise.

-Denny Moore, Museu Goeldi