From HD Video camera to MPEG-4 on a Mac

Margaret Carew margaret.carew at batchelor.edu.au
Thu Jun 2 00:54:11 UTC 2011

Hi

I've been doing some research into how to work with H264 files that come off my Canon DSLR. FCP doesn't like this format, so transcoding is required. Here's a way I've found to make quite good, smallish files, also a link to a youtube clip that explains this workflow in more detail.

>From Canon h264 > HD suitable for youtube etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfcJGUWh0nQ&feature=related

h264 > MPEG streamclip
List/Batchlist
Choose Apple DVC Pro HD 720 p60
FCP > Sequence DVCPro HD720p60
?	Compressor
?	export as QT H264

To get the right file size

in Compressor
look at inspector to see the file size
Encoder tab > settings > data rate
Enter data rate, check file size in inspector (need to play around with the data rate to get the right file size)

Based on this workflow you can adapt to different outputs, eg MPEG 2 or whatever you're after. You can also choose different DVC Pro settings.

Alternatively

use log and transfer in FCP to transcode H264 files, straight from card (ie use card reader)
To Apple Intermediate Codec, or Prores - either is good for editing, Prores is better for progressive codecs.

MC