Can Elan export to limsi labels?

Christopher Cox cdcox at ualberta.ca
Fri Jun 10 04:21:47 UTC 2011

Hi Margaret,

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Margaret Carew
<margaret.carew at batchelor.edu.au> wrote:
> I would like to create a set of mp3 exports from an elan-annotated wav file. They are songs, interspersed with conversation, annotated accordingly. I know that Transcriber will export to limsi labels, which then can be imported by audacity, enabling quick chunking>exporting according to timecode information in the labels - but I don't use Transcriber and would prefer to stick with Elan throughout my workflow if possible.

Yes, as of ELAN 3.9.0, exporting LIMSI labels is possible, though that
option isn't directly exposed in the "Export" submenu.  To export
LIMSI labels from an ELAN transcript:

1. In the "File" menu, select "Export As > Tab-delimited Text..."
2. In the dialogue box that appears:
 * Select those tiers whose annotations should be extracted.
 * Check "Exclude tier names from output"
 * Under "Include time column for", select only "Begin Time" and "End Time"
 * Under "Include time format", select only "ss.msec"

That should be enough to produce LIMSI labels that can be imported by
Audacity.  There are also more detailed instructions for the procedure
in the slides and materials from a recent course on ELAN offered at
InField 2010:

http://logos.uoregon.edu/infield2010/workshops/aligning-text-elan2/index.php

Hope this helps!
All the best,