Stimulus materials for eliciting Aust languages

John Mansfield jman8871 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Sun Jun 19 05:13:33 UTC 2011

I am looking for visual stimulus materials to be used for eliciting samples
of an Australian Aboriginal language.

I wish to elicit text from two groups - young and old - and the main point
of the exercise for me is to identify the main grammatical differences in
the young peoples' speech versus the old peoples' speech, by documenting
parallel sentences that are "saying the same thing".

I have been hoping to find a sort of basic or standard set of visual
elicitation stimuli. The main qualities I am looking for in the materials
would be:
- that the event depicted is very clear and unambiguous, so that all
participants can be expected to be "saying the same thing", more or less;
- that the objects and events depicted should be familiar to people living
in a remote Aboriginal community;

There are also particular grammatical features that I want to test, but I
expect to make my own adaptations to the materials to test these.

I have tried looking around the Max Planck Institute's Field
Manuals<http://fieldmanuals.mpi.nl/>site, but couldn't see anything
there that fits the bill (most of their
materials seem designed for testing some quite specific feature).

John Mansfield