Handbrake, compression and mov files

Honeyman Tom t.honeyman at gmail.com
Sat May 7 03:45:36 UTC 2011

Hi Felicity,

As I understand it for HDV the video stream is stored as mpeg2 and the audio stream is stored as mpeg1 layer 2. I don't know however if it was transcoded to other formats when you captured the file. Basically, Handbrake should be able to handle it just fine. Can you give us some more information about the actual encoding of the file?

Also, is handbrake giving you any feedback on why it can't handle the files?

I guess it's not a proper solution but you could also try Miro Video Converter, or FFMpegX.

-tom