From HD Video camera to MPEG-4 on a Mac

Felicity Meakins f.meakins at uq.edu.au
Mon May 9 04:32:41 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

This email summarises the process I have gone through from capturing my HDV
tapes through Final Cut Pro to producing good looking MPEG-4 files suitable
for archiving. Thanks very much to the people who emailed me with
suggestions, particularly Tom Honeyman.

So .....

When you capture your HDV recordings using Final Cut Pro (FCP), Apple
Intermediate Codec (AIC) files are created which are encased in the
Quicktime .mov format. They are very large but very high quality files which
are perfect for editing into subtitled edited DVDs for the language
community.

For the purposes of archiving, these files need to be converted into MPEG-4
format.

In order to create MPEG-4 files, export to .mov file from FCP (or Final Cut
Express) using Quicktime Conversion (File > Export > Using Quicktime
Conversion) and use the following formats:

Format: Quicktime Movie

*Codec for video: H.264*
*Frame-rate: Current*
*Keyframes: Every 30 frames*
*Data rate: 5000 kbits/s*
*Size: 1280x720*
*De-interlace: Yes*
*Sound codec: AAC*
*Sound Sample Rate: 44.1kHz*
*Audio Quality: 128kbps*

Regards,

Felicity

Felicity Meakins
ARC Postdoctoral Research Fellow
School of Languages and Comparative Cultural Studies
Bldg. 32 (Gordon Greenwood Building)
University of Queensland
Brisbane QLD 4072
AUSTRALIA

Mobile: +61411404546
Office: +61 7 3365 2877
Fax: +61 7 3365 6799
Email: f.meakins at uq.edu.au
http://www.slccs.uq.edu.au//index.html?page=127733&pid=124851

also Honorary Research Associate with University of Manchester
http://www.llc.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/lel/staff/felicity-meakins
felicity.meakins at manchester.ac.uk