Solid states and transcription

Post, Mark mark.post at jcu.edu.au
Mon May 9 05:11:07 UTC 2011

Dear All,

There have been a lot of new relatively-affordable solid state recorders introduced recently, and I'm wondering if there are any that people have been particularly happy with (or unhappy with) *as transcription tools*. Things we're mainly worried about are variable playback speed (it should be easily-accessible from a front menu), response time in playback mode, and battery consumption in playback mode - ie., as close as possible to an old-time tape deck, but, well, not one.

Cheers
Mark

Mark W. Post, PhD
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in Anthropological Linguistics
James Cook University
Cairns QLD 4878 Australia

TEL (AU): +61-7-4042-1881
TEL (IN): +91-89746-64180