Rate of vocabulary learning (was Re: flashcard player)

Bill Poser billposer2 at gmail.com
Sat May 28 20:19:09 UTC 2011

On a tangential topic, does anyone have information on the rate at which
children can be expected to learn vocabulary in second language classes? I'm
especially interested in situations where classes start in Kindergarten or
the beginning of primary school. At the end of the first year, how many
words is it reasonable to expect the children to have learned? How many at
the end of the second year, etc.? I understand that there are issues with
what counts as a word and that one expects variation from language to
language and situation to situation, but I'd still like to see figures. This
kind of information must exist since in at least some places there are lists
of what to examine and curricula specific enough to list the vocabulary that
is taught, but I have found it very hard to obtain this kind of information.
Thanks.

Bill