From HD Video camera to MPEG-4 on a Mac

Felicity Meakins f.meakins at uq.edu.au
Sat May 28 22:33:55 UTC 2011

Hi Hiram,

I'm sending this via the RNLD list because I think you meant it to go there in the first place.

AIC files are very nice files if you are wanting to create a (subtitled) DVD product for the speaker community. They are preferable to the Canon format you mentioned. Unfortunately they are very large though and in a proprietary format. Archives are recommending MPEG-4 format for archiving which are quite compressed but can still be good quality. Unfortunately FCP does take absolutely forever to compress files in MPEG-4 format and won't do a batch convert - unlike Handbrake, but Handbrake can't read AIC format. Amazing that the free program is both faster and more efficient but anyway.

If you want to convert your AIC files to something of similar quality, you could create MPEG-2 files which is what digital TV and DVDs use. Unfortunately you can't do this in FCP but if you bought the FCP package, you will have Compressor as well which works form within FCP. You can create MPEG-2 files through Compressor. I haven't found any other way of converting AIC to MPEG-2.

I don't have any recommendations for the process of recording events myself. I think it is probably something we do poorly as documentary linguists because we have been focussed on sound quality for so long. On a number of occasions, I have considered doing a mini-documentary film makers course for this very reason. But they are quite expensive. If you have the opportunity, I would recommend it!

Regards, Felicity