Rate of vocabulary learning (was Re: flashcard player)

Bill Poser billposer2 at gmail.com
Sun May 29 01:46:02 UTC 2011

Greg,

Thanks. That is helpful. And, believe it or not, your NT curriculum document
is more specific than what passes for a language curriculum here in British
Columbia. All language curricula ("international" and "first nations")
contain "learning outcomes" that are so hopelessly vague as to be completely
useless. You couldn't use them to figure out how to set an examination, to
decide what you're supposed to cover in a given year, or to figure out what
you might expect your incoming students to know. The outcomes are things
like: "acquires new information using age-appropriate resources"! One of the
Integrated Resource Packages is (unintentionally, I assume) hysterical: it
has a section at the end that summarizes the learning outcomes in a format
in which each year is in a row, so you can see "progress" from year to year.
It has exactly the same "acquires new information using age-appropriate
resources" nine years in a row! You will not find anything like "knows the
names of the common domestic animals" or "can give directions", much less
"knows how to make the future of -er verbs". (The last is EXPLICITLY
FORBIDDEN in the guidelines. Specific topical outcomes are not forbidden but
are nonetheless absent.) Only one language IRP contains a list of vocabulary
to be covered - the one for Mandarin Chinese contains a non-standard
appendix which lists for the first two or three years Chinese characters
(not words, actually, though these are mostly ones that are often used
alone) suggested for that year.

Anyhow, your strictures regarding methods etc. are well taken, but
information about what people manage with various languages and methods and
class hours etc. will still be helpful, I hope.

Bill