Linguistics in the Pub (LIP) October: Discussing Linguistic Diversity

Ruth Singer rsinger at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Oct 4 00:03:09 UTC 2011

Announcement

Linguistics in the Pub (LIP) 7pm, Tuesday 18th October 2011

Discussing Linguistic Diversity

This month we will be exploring how we can share our work with the
general public. Instead of waiting for journalists to jump on (often
sensationalist) stories about "undiscovered languages" or language
death we need to be proactive in communicating to the general public
the realities of linguistic diversity and the importance of
maintaining, documenting and reviving that diversity. Ruth Singer and
Lauren Gawne will share some of their experiences from the "Writing
for Readers" workshop run at The University of Melbourne's Writing
Centre about reaching out to a general audience. We will discuss the
benefits and challenges of sharing our work with the public.

Organised by RNLD http://www.rnld.org