Meta-question about FLEx

Post, Mark mark.post at jcu.edu.au
Thu Oct 13 01:01:08 UTC 2011

Lovely analogy. Can I add my two cents?

Let's imagine we're living not in a house, but rather what is in the US called a trailer park (I'm not sure what these are called in other parts of the world, or if they even exist). This seems to me to more closely resemble the linguist's world of computing. We start with a humble trailer, basically a box to hang one's hat in, then somebody comes along and tacks on a front porch, someone else leaves us an LPG stove that we stick onto the side somewhere, and we also manage to build a shed which doubles as a garage/carport (fits most incoming vehicles!). Sure, we have to walk across the yard to use the outhouse and that's no fun in the rain, but beggars can't be choosers.

Now someone comes along and builds a beautiful, gleaming structure across the road and tells us that it's *for us* - we can come and live here for free! "Wow!" we think, "that's really something! Must be great inside!" But somehow, it doesn't feel very homey. Instead of sofas, it has rows of benches that look kind of like...pews. And the food pantry kind of looks, I don't know - like an altar or something.  And although we're allowed to live there, for some reason we're not given the keys. And there's this sort of...atmosphere there, it feels like you always have to do things a particular way, and there's a lot of rooms whose function you don't really understand, it...almost seems as if it was designed for someone who has a different sort of purpose...

Well, we can either stay there or go back to the trailer park, of course, nobody's forcing anything on anyone. But there's nothing wrong with yearning for the house we've always wanted. After all, some people in the world have them, it's not like they don't exist. But, it doesn't look like we've figured out how to get there yet.

Cheers,

Mark

---
Mark W. Post, PhD
Post-doctoral Research Fellow in Anthropological Linguistics
The Cairns Institute
James Cook University
Smithfield, QLD 4878
Australia