Balinese: substantive and funding questions

Alissa Stern alissa at basabali.org
Fri Oct 14 15:19:41 UTC 2011

RNLD Folks:

I just started developing dialogue-based interactive materials for
Balinese.  Each dialogue will be hyperlinked with grammatical and
cultural notes in addition to a range of multimedia exercises.  The
conversational part of the materials will be targeted to Balinese living
outside of Bali, children who have only one Balinese parent (who tend,
as a general matter, to learn Indonesian or English rather than
Balinese), and nonBalinese living in Bali or elsewhere.  The materials
will also include a chapter on Balinese script targeted for Balinese
children and anyone else who is interested.

As a nonprofit organization, we will donate the materials free of charge
to nonprofits in Bali and at a nominal charge to others to cover
maintenance and updates.

Two questions:

1) This is designed as a collaborative effort, pulling together
linguists, videographers, anthropologists, animators and other experts
in Balinese.  If anyone would like to contribute to this effort or knows
of others working in this area, please let me know.

2) I'm looking for sources of funding to cover the costs of developing
the videos and dialogues (the software itself was donated by
Transparent).    I started a kickstarter campaign (http://kck.st/rpeM26)
but it is going a little slowly, so I'm wondering if there are grants or
other sources of funding out there for Balinese specifically or
threatened languages more generally.

Many thanks for your advice.

Alissa Stern
--