Answers to questions about importing into FLEx

Jeff Siegel jsiegel at une.edu.au
Sun Oct 23 11:19:46 UTC 2011

My questions about importing stuff into FLEx certainly led to a lot of meta-discussion.

In keeping with the architectural metaphors: I was basically homeless when I asked the questions. I decided to try to move into the flash new house rather than the old caravan park (trailer park in Aust Eng), mainly because of maintenance issues. I couldn't figure out how to get my stuff into the house, but was generously helped by some of the architects/builders.

The questions and answers:

1) What is the method of importing transcribed texts from Elan into FLEx?

As my Elan texts were just baseline transcriptions with free translations, I was able to import them into SayMore (alpha version), which I downloaded from the Palaso site. Then it was easy to export them into FLEx.

2) Is there a way to import a vocabulary list in XML into FLEx?

The list was in MSWord. I converted it to an SFL (standard format lexicon) file and then FLEx was able to import it.

Many thanks to Beth Bryson, John Hatton and David Baines.

Now just trying to get used to the house. It certainly has a lot of mod cons, many of which I probably won't use, and I'm not sure if I'll stay there permanently. But nice to have a roof over my head.

-Jeff