Using Transcriber with OS 10.7.1

Honeyman Tom t.honeyman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 23:13:31 UTC 2011

Hi Adriano,

Are you referring to the new or the old version of Transcriber? Either way, both are broken in Mac OS 10.7, but for slightly different reasons.

I would expect that the old version will not be updated to become compatible, and the new version (TranscriberAG) might be. But then again, I don't recall if TranscriberAG worked in 10.6, and it looks like it only supports 10.5! Pretty amazing for a piece of software released this year. Can anyone confirm whether they have got it working on 10.6?

The issue with the old version - or rather the main issue - is that with OS 10.7, Apple has completed the transition from the old PPC Chip based programs to Intel chip based ones. While there was a transitionary piece of technology called Rosetta in 10.6 (and I think 10.5) that handled these older programs on newer computers, this has been dropped in 10.7.

If you want to use the old version of Transcriber you will need to downgrade to 10.6 or 10.5. If you want to use the newer TranscriberAG, you will have to wait for the developers to update it.

Alternatively, if you are running a windows emulator (say, for toolbox), you could try to run the windows version of transcriber through that, or it might possibly work in Crossover… I'll have to give that a go myself!

Cheers,
Tom