Call for Proposals: 3rd International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation (ICLDC)

Andrea L. Berez andrea.berez at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 19 19:06:03 UTC 2012

The *3rd International Conference on Language Documentation and
Conservation (ICLDC),* “Sharing Worlds of Knowledge,” will be held*February
28-March 3, 2013*, at the Hawai‘i Imin International Conference Center on
the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa campus.

By popular demand, the 3rd ICLDC will be a full day longer than the
previous two conferences. The conference program will feature an integrated
series of *Master Class workshops*. An optional Hilo Field Study (on the
Big Island of Hawai‘i) to visit Hawaiian language revitalization programs
in action will immediately follow the conference (March 4-5).

This year’s *conference theme, “Sharing Worlds of Knowledge,” *intends to
highlight the interdisciplinary nature of language documentation and the
need to share methods for documenting the many aspects of human knowledge
that language encodes. We aim to build on the strong momentum created by
the 1st and 2nd ICLDCs to discuss research and revitalization approaches
yielding rich records that can benefit both the field of language
documentation and speech communities. We hope you will join us.

For more information, visit our *conference website:
http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/ICLDC/2013/*
*
*

*CALL FOR PROPOSALS*

*Topics*

We especially welcome abstracts that address the conference theme of the
interdisciplinary nature of language documentation. Language encodes
knowledge from many facets of life: kinship, science, taxonomy, material
culture, spirituality, music, and others. We encourage presentations on
documenting these topics through the lens of endangered languages.

We are also seeking abstracts on the science of documentation and
revitalization. Documentation is usually portrayed as a means of collecting
language data, and revitalization is generally seen primarily as a kind of
applied work directly benefiting communities. However, each of those
domains is a genuine area of research, and we welcome presentations that
treat documentation and revitalization not merely as activities, but also
as domains requiring theorization in their own right.

In addition to the topics above, we warmly welcome abstracts on other
subjects in language documentation and conservation, which may include but
are not limited to:

   - Archiving matters
   - Community experiences of revitalization
   - Data management
   - Ethical issues
   - Language planning
   - Lexicography and reference grammar design
   - Methods of assessing ethnolinguistic vitality
   - Orthography design
   - Teaching/learning small languages
   - Technology in documentation – methods and pitfalls
   - Topics in areal language documentation
   - Training in documentation methods – beyond the university
   - Assessing success in documentation and revitalization strategies

*Abstract submission*

Abstracts should be submitted in English, but presentations can be in any
language. We particularly welcome presentations in languages of the region
discussed. Authors may submit no more than one individual and one joint
(co-authored) proposal.

Abstracts are *due by August 31, 2012*, with notification of acceptance by
October 1, 2012.

We ask for *abstracts of no more than 400 words* for online publication so
that conference participants will have a good idea of the content of your
paper, and a *50-word summary* for inclusion in the conference program. All
abstracts will be submitted to blind peer review by international experts
on the topic.

We will only be accepting proposal submissions for papers or posters.
Please note that the Advisory Committee may ask that some abstracts
submitted as conference talks be presented as posters instead.

Selected authors will be invited to submit their conference papers to the
journal *Language Documentation & Conservation* for publication.

*To submit an online proposal, visit our Call for Proposals page:
http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/ICLDC/2013/call.html*

*Scholarships*

Scholarships of up to US$1,500 will be awarded to the six best abstracts by
students and/or community-based (non-academically-employed) language
activists, to help defray travel expenses to come and present at the
conference. If you are eligible and wish to be considered for a
scholarship, please select the appropriate "Yes" button on the proposal
submission form.

*Presentation formats*

Papers will be allowed 20 minutes for presentation with 10 minutes of
question time.

Posters will be on display throughout the conference. Poster presentations
will run during the lunch breaks.

Questions?  Feel free to contact us at icldc at hawaii.edu

3rd ICLDC Organizing Committee

--
Andrea L. Berez
Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics