[RNLD: ] orthography debacles

John Olstad jtolstad at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 25 08:34:15 UTC 2012

Dear RNLDers,

I often hear talk at conferences complaining that they have begun work in a
primarily oral-tradition language community where previous individuals or
groups have instituted 'some ridiculous orthography.' The community either
embraces it or doesn't, but some kind of silly confusion arises where the
instituted orthography is allegedly to blame.

I want to collect stories like this and try to gain an insight as to what
might be considered typical ridiculosity as well as what might be the
typical source/history of the problematic orthographies people are running
into.

Off list or on list should be fine, depending on how incriminating your
story might be. I imagine there are some of us who are dying to contribute
to this discussion. I very much appreciate whatever you would like to share.

Best,

John Olstad