[RNLD] invitation to RNLD End of Year celebration

Margaret Florey mflorey at RNLD.ORG
Thu Dec 6 23:01:34 UTC 2012

Dear members,

RNLD would like to invite you to join our End of Year celebration.

It has been another very successful and exciting year for RNLD. We
supported a total of 54 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages
this year through our training activities. 32 Documenting and Revitalising
Indigenous Languages <http://www.rnld.org/DRIL> Training workshops were
held in New South Wales, Queensland, the Northern Territory, South
Australia and Western Australia. We also partnered with the Advocates for
Indigenous California Language Survival to deliver two train-the-trainer
workshops in the Master-Apprentice Language Learning
method<http://www.rnld.org/MALLP>with representatives of 30 languages
from all Australian states and
territories. We were excited to receive a new grant from the Indigenous
Languages Support Scheme to proceed with the accreditation of our training
program, and we are now developing Certificates III and
IV<http://www.rnld.org/DRILcertificates>in Documenting and
Revitalising Indigenous Languages.

Our team has continued to grow with the appointment of Donna McLaren as
Indigenous Co-Director of the DRIL Training Program. Donna has already
begun training in workshops in WA, NSW and Queensland. We have also drawn
on the expertise of several Aboriginal regional community trainers,
including Brad Steadman, who is running workshops in Ngiyampaa country in
NSW, Michael Jarrett, who joined the team in Kununurra and Woorabinda, and
Gadj Maymuru, who also co-trained in Woorabinda. We have expanded our
Linking Up program this year to renew links between linguists and
communities or regions in which they have documented languages. Under this
scheme, Tamsin Donaldson joined a training workshop at Murrin Bridge in
NSW, and Gavan Breen reconnected with Bidjara and Gungabula community
members in Woorabinda, Qld.

We wish we could celebrate in person with all of our supporters around
Australia and the world and we thank you for all that you are doing to
strengthen Indigenous languages, share your knowledge and information, and
continue to build the international network of language maintenance
practitioners.

For those members who are based in Melbourne (or who may be visiting at the
time), please come and join us for a drink and some finger food.