ARC funding for fieldwork

Frances Kofod fkofod at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 13 03:06:31 UTC 2012

It is shocking to hear that AIATSIS cannot properly care for its archival material. I have been intending to send lots of older tapes to them - after I have digitised them for safe keeping.
Also in regard to all the mining clearance reports done over and over again, I have heard lots of Aboriginal people express their deep frustration that they cannot have access to the reports that their elders made in the past.
Frances Kofod

On 13/02/2012, at 10:37 AM, Felicity Meakins wrote:

> This may be of interest to people seeking funding for grants involving fieldwork:
>
> Finding funds for outback digs <http://www.campusreview.com.au/blog/analysis/comment/finding-funds-for-outback-digs/>
>
> The cost of research for archaeology and anthropology could be reduced by tapping money that mining companies pay for cultural heritage compliance, writes Claire Smith.
>
> Recent changes to grants programs run by the Australian Research Council (ARC) and the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS) have caused widespread concern within field-based disciplines in Australia, such as archaeology, anthropology and Aboriginal languages. The debate around these changes highlights the high costs of conducting fieldwork in Australia, our reliance on a limited number of funding bodies and the need to identify additional sources of research funding.
>
> The recently released 2013 funding rules for Australian Research Council Discovery Program placed a limit of $50,000 on the travel budget over the life of the project. Such a limitation would have severely limited field-based research projects.  Fieldwork in Australia is expensive. Though people conducting research in remote areas may well live in tents or caravans, the travel costs are high. This is due to the high cost of four-wheel-drive vehicles and the length of time that is required for many fieldwork projects, itself an artefact of the remoteness of the location – if it takes three days to get to a location, you need to make the stay worthwhile.
>
> Moreover, in disciplines such as archaeology data collection is undertaken by a team of people, all of whom have to travel to the field location. A maximum of $50,000 over a three-year project would have stifled fundamental research in those disciplines that require extensive fieldwork. Last week’s clarification from the Australian Research Council caused widespread relief. The updating of frequently asked questions included one on field research costs in remote areas of Australia and overseas and a response that only the flights to and from the research site were considered to be travel.
>
> Fieldwork costs could be sought under a separate category. When this clarification was announced you could almost hear the collective sigh on the email lists of the affected disciplinary communities. Apprehension regarding changes to ARC funding was exacerbated by existing concerns regarding the recent suspension of the AIATSIS grants program. This small but critical funding program has run since the 1980s. With an annual funding allocation of about $680,000, it has supported crucial seed research in archaeology, anthropology and Aboriginal languages – research that would not have been funded, otherwise.

> [...]

Frances Kofod
PO Box 1918
Kununurra
WA 6743