[RNLD] Linguistics in the Pub Tuesday 17th July: Zombie Linguistics

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 6 05:45:51 UTC 2012

Announcement: Linguistics in the Pub July 2012

Zombie Linguistics:
Metaphors academic linguists use to talk about language endangerment
involve death, preservation and extinction. However language activists
and more community-oriented linguists involved with language
revitalisation tend to talk about sleeping languages, rewakening
languages and emergent vitalities. In this session we will discuss a
recent article (Perley 2012) which argues that the metaphors used by
linguists are detrimental to community aspirations for language
revitalisation. To what extent are the two approaches really
incompatible? As linguists, do we really need to choose between
working for communities where we do our research and working within
academia?

Perley, Bernard C. (2012). Zombie Linguistics: Experts, Endangered
Languages and the Curse of Undead Voices. Anthropological Forum 22:
133-149.

See the LIP page of the RNLD website for background readings.