[RNLD] Hiss and the Marantz PMD670

Frank Seidel frank.zidle at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 20 17:42:56 UTC 2012

Dear Ann,

I am by no means an expert. But these are the things that I would check and
consider. Unfortunately, you are very vague about your situation, so it
might be the case that you already excluded these:

1) Does the Marantz' 670 use sd-cards? I do not know that generation of
Marantz very well but, maybe it has issue with certain SD cards. Check if
the hiss is there even, if you use the SD card that came with the device.
2) You might have Phantom power on and are running the mic from a battery
at the same time (which would be a bad thing anyways).
3) The mic is damaged or incompatible for some reason with the Marantz.
Check if the hiss is there, if you use other microphones. See this webpage
by Bartek Plichta on more of this issue:
http://bartus.org/akustyk/noise_testing.php.
4) You are recording with a mono-mic, but still record on both channels
owing to the settings you chose on the Marantz.

These are but some possibilities, but you might check these until somebody
who knows more about these things answers.

All the best of luck with this.

Frank

--
Frank Seidel, Ph.D.