[RNLD] r-n-l-d at lists.unimelb.edu.au

David Nathan dn2 at SOAS.AC.UK
Sat Jul 21 11:08:45 UTC 2012

Hi Anna

Adding to Frank's suggestions:

If possible reduce the variables - most of these things should be easy to do:

1. try recording with a different mic (also cable if possible), or
even the inbuilt ones, and see what difference that makes
2. try recording on battery only - sometimes the power supply will
pick up or induce noise
3. check levels and impedance setting (if any) - if input level is
(too) high, there is likely to be a significant level of hiss,
especially made palpable when listening through headphones. Note that
you would not expect a recording from this model to be totally
hiss-free even under quite good circumstances.
4. is hiss the same when simply monitoring (ie not listening back to a
recording)?
5. check battery in mic (if applicable) is full
6. I think that using a condenser mic or otherwise probably isn't
correlated with less vulnerability to hiss as you might be assuming
(I'm not very experienced with dynamic mics but my instinct would be
that condenser mics might be more susceptible than dynamic all other
things being equal)

best wishes

David