[RNLD] Hiss and the Marantz PMD670

Hiram Ring hiram1 at E.NTU.EDU.SG
Sat Jul 21 10:54:29 UTC 2012

Hiss can also be due to an ungrounded or 'dirty' power source, as sometimes your microphone cable will pick up signals from external electrical sources. I ran into this issue in India.

  If your laptop is plugged into an electrical outlet for example, try unplugging the laptop and running it only on the battery. Make sure that the only equipment running in the room/area you're recording in is running on battery. Also try to ensure that cables are not crossing or otherwise making contact with each other.

Testing combinations of power-sources and cable setups can help you troubleshoot to identify the precise source of the hiss, or whether it is due to something else. Marantz is known to have a small amount of hiss generally (google 'marantz pmd670 hiss'), though not necessarily more than other solid-state recorders, or your condenser mic may not be ideal for pairing with the PMD670.

Best,
Hiram
Hiram Ring
PhD Student, Grammatical Description and Documentation
Nanyang Technological University
http://www.ntu.edu.sg

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it, notify us and do not copy, use, or disclose its content. Thank you.

Towards A Sustainable Earth: Print Only When Necessary