[RNLD] FW: PhD scholarships at the Language and Culture Research Centre, Cairns Institute, JCU

Daniel W. Hieber dwhieb at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 11 15:30:58 UTC 2012

>From the LINGTYP listserv. A scholarship opportunity for a PhD doing
fieldwork on an under-described language, based in Australia (with the
language of study preferably in Amazonia or the Papuan and Austronesian
languages of New Guinea).

From: Discussion List for ALT [mailto:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On
Behalf Of Alexandra Aikhenvald
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 2:51 AM
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: PhD scholarships at the Language and Culture Research Centre,
Cairns Institute, JCU

Come and work in an exotic location, investigating a language which has
never previously been described!

PHD SCHOLARSHIPS AT THE CAIRNS INSTITUTE, JCU, AUSTRALIA‏
Applications are invited, from suitably qualified students, to enter the PhD
program of the Language and Culture Research Centre within the Cairns
Institute of James Cook University Australia. Supervision will be provided
by Professors Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, R. M. W. Dixon, and Dr Elena Mihas.
 Our PhD candidates generally undertake extensive fieldwork on a previously
undescribed (or scarcely described) language and write a comprehensive
grammar of it for their dissertation. They are expected to work on a
language which is still actively spoken, and to establish a field situation
within a community in which it is the first language. Their first fieldtrip
lasts for about nine months. After completing a first draft of the grammar,
back in Cairns, they undertake a second fieldtrip of two to three months.
Fieldwork methodology centres on the collection, transcription and analysis
of texts, together with participant observation, and — at a later stage —
judicious gramma! tical elicitation in the language under description (not
through the lingua franca of the country). Our main priority areas are the
languages of tropical Amazonia, and the Papuan and Austronesian languages of
New Guinea. However, we do not exclude applicants who have an established
interest in languages from other areas (which need not necessarily lie
within the tropics).
 PhDs in Australian universities generally involve no coursework, just a
substantial dissertation. Candidates must thus have had a thorough
coursework training before embarking on this PhD program. This should have
included courses on morphology, syntax, semantics, and phonology/phonetics,
taught from a non-formalist perspective. We place emphasis on work that has
a sound empirical basis but also shows a firm theoretical orientation (in
terms of general typological theory, or what has recently come to be called
basic linguistic theory).
 The Cairns Institute is a world class centre for adv! anced study relating
to the tropics. Distinguished Professor Alexandra (Sasha) Aikhenvald is
Research Leader for People and Societies of the Tropics. Together with
Professor R. M. W. Dixon, she heads the Language and Culture Research Centre
within the Cairns Institute, which includes Research Fellows and a growing
number of doctoral students. In addition, senior scholars from across the
world opt to spend their sabbatical in the Cairns Institute.
 The LCRC also includes anthropologists, archaeologists and educationalists,
with scholars working on environmental issues, all within James Cook
University. The information on LCRC is available at
https://eresearch.jcu.edu.au/spaces/TLA. The Language and Culture Research
Centre is responsible for maintaining a repository of information on
languages and cultures of our expertise, under the heading of Languages and
cultures of the Tropics and Surrounding areas
(https://eresearch.jcu.edu.au/spaces/TLA/languages-and-cultures-of-the-tropi
cs-and-surrounding-areas
<https://eresearch.jcu.edu.au/spaces/TLA/languages-and-cultures-of-the-t!%0d
%0a%20ropics-and-surrounding-areas> ).
 The basic scholarship will be at the standard James Cook University rate,
Australian $23.728 pa. Students coming from overseas are liable for a
tuition fee; but this may be waived in the case of a student of high merit.
A small relocation allowance may be provided on taking up the scholarship.
In addition, an appropriate allowance will be made to cover fieldwork
expenses.
 The scholarship is for three years (with the possibility of a six month
extension). The deadline for application by international students (starting
in 2011) is 31 August 2012; the deadline for students with Australian and
New Zealand passports is 31 October 2012.
 The academic year in Australia commences about 1st March. Successful
applicants would take up their PhD scholarships between January and June
2013.
 The application procedure! s for students and the application forms can be
found at: http://www.jcu.edu.au/grs/scholarships/index.htm.
 Prospective applicants are invited, in the first place, to get in touch
with Professor Aikhenvald at Alexandra.Aikhenvald at jcu.edu.au, providing
details of their background, qualifications and interests (including a
curriculum vitae). Applicants are advised to send samples of their written
work in linguistics (at least some of this should be in English).

Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, PhD, DLitt, FAHA
Distinguished Professor and Research Leader (Peoples and Societies of the
Tropics)
Director of LCRC
The Cairns Institute
James Cook University
PO Box 6811
Cairns
Queensland 4870
Australia
mobile 0400 305315
office 61-7-40421117

Alexandra.Aikhenvald at jcu.edu.au
http://www.jcu.edu.au/sass/staff/JCUPRD_043649.html
http://www.aikhenvaldlinguistics.com/;
https://eresearch.jcu.edu.au/spaces/TLA

Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, PhD, DLitt, FAHA

Distinguished Professor and Research Leader (People and Societies of the
Tropics)

Director of the Language and Culture Research Centre

The Cairns Institute, James Cook University

PO Box 6811, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia

 <http://www.jcu.edu.au/sass/staff/JCUPRD_043649.html>
http://www.jcu.edu.au/sass/staff/JCUPRD_043649.html

 mobile 0400 305315, office 61-7-40421117

fax 61-7-4042 1880  http//www.aikhen <http://www.aikhen/>
valdlinguistics.com

https://eresearch.jcu.edu.au/spaces/TLA

  _____