[RNLD] Linguistics in the Pub Tuesday 26th June

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 12 02:15:42 UTC 2012

Announcement: Linguistics in the Pub June 2012

Topic: Technology: friend or foe?

The continual developments in technology that we currently enjoy are an
inextricably connected to the development of our field. Most would agree
that technology has changed language documentation for the better. But
while nobody is advocating a return to paper and pen, most would concur
that technology has changed the way we work in unexpected ways. The focus
is usually on the materials we produce such as video, audio and annotation
files as well as particular types of computer-aided analysis. In a recent
ELAC post, 'Hammers and
nails<http://www.paradisec.org.au/blog/2012/04/hammers-and-nails/>'
Peter Austin claims that metadata is not what it was, in the days of good
old reel-to-reel tape recorders. The volume of comments suggests that this
topic is ripe for discussion. This session of Linguistics in the Pub will
give us a chance to reflect on how our practices change with advances in
technology.

Some ideas for discussion:
Do we make fewer notes when working with speakers, knowing that everything
is being recorded?
Do we listen less hard now that we have pitch traces to aid our study of
tone and intonation?
How does computer-aided communication change the way we communicate with
language speakers?
Is 'record everything' sensible, or can we drown in data, leaving no time
for 'real linguistics'?