Final CFP & Deadline Extension: The Nature of Evidential=?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=8B=E2=80=8Bity_?=(TNE2012)

Monica Lau monica_laura_lau at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 12:44:58 UTC 2012

[Apologies for cross-posting]

DEADLINE EXTENSION: to  MARCH 31, 2012

Final Call for Papers

The Nature of Evidentiality (TNE2012), Leiden, The Netherlands, 14-16 JUNE 2012

http://hum.leiden.edu/lucl/tne-2012

MEETING DESCRIPTION:
The purpose of this conference is to bring together researchers working on various language families and from various subdisciplines of linguistics to discuss the linguistic nature of evidentiality. We welcome any descriptive, theoretical, comparative or historical perspective, as long as one or more of the following topics is addressed:
Theory: the nature of the network of relationships between evidential categories, and the descriptors that are needed to accurately map these relationships.
Criteria: rigorous syntactic, morphological, and semantic tests for describing the differences between evidential categories.
Evidential systems: the nature of the interaction of various evidential markers within a given evidential system.
Beyond evidentiality: the relationships of evidentials with other linguistic categories such as tense, aspect, and modality.

INVITED SPEAKERS:
Rose-Marie Déchaine (UBC)
Ferdinand de Haan (Oracle)
Daniel J. Hintz (SIL)
Matthias Schenner (ZAS Berlin)
Peggy Speas (UMass, Amherst)

FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS:
We are accepting abstracts on any of the topics above only through the EasyChair abstract submission system, which can be found at:
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=tne2012
Abstracts should not exceed two pages, including data and references, and have at least 11-point font on either A4 or letter paper with one-inch (2.5cm) margins. Abstracts must be anonymous and submissions are limited to 2 per author, at least one of which is co-authored.
Selected talks will be 30 minutes long: 20 min. for presentation and 10 min. for discussion.

IMPORTANT DATES:
Submission deadline: March 15, 2012    *EXTENDED TO MARCH 31, 2012*
Notification of acceptance: April 15, 2012
Registration deadline: May 15, 2012
Conference: June 14 to June 16, 2012

ORGANIZING  COMMITTEE:
Johan Rooryck (LUCL)
Tyler Peterson (LUCL)
Monica Lau  (LUCL)
Willem Adelaar (LUCL)

CONTACT INFORMATION:

evidentiality at gmail.com

In addition to the main conference, we are also hosting a  one-day workshop on June 13 dedicated to semantic fieldwork and evidentials. In  the past 25 years research on evidentiality has greatly expanded its  cross-linguistic scope, and we now have many fine-grained descriptions of evidentials in individual  languages. This research has led to the development of many empirical, experimental, and theoretical tools for  documenting evidentiality. These advances have also revealed the challenges in  adequately describing evidentials. As such, the purpose of this workshop is to  bring field researchers together who work on evidentiality, and to provide a  forum for exchanging methodologies and experiences in probing evidential  meaning. If you are interested in making a short presentation at the workshop, please include a one-paragraph abstract along  with your main conference abstract. There are a limited number of presentation  slots, but we
 hope to accommodate as many people as possible.