[RNLD] locating audio collections that are at risk

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Tue May 22 00:04:08 UTC 2012

I am writing to ask for your help in compiling a list of linguistic
recordings that need to be digitised.

PARADISEC is a project that has been locating collections of
recordings in small and endangered languages (see the current catalog:
http://bit.ly/SearchParadisec) and digitising them where possible.

We are currently collecting information about further such collections
and are asking if you could fill in a brief survey form (4 questions,
listed below) on this page:
http://www.paradisec.org.au/PDSCSurvey.html

Please feel free to distribute this message.

Thanks for your help,

Nick Thieberger

*************************
Project Manager,
Pacific and Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered
Cultures (PARADISEC) http://paradisec.org.au

1. Do you know of recordings of small or endangered languages that are
not yet digitised? These could be in personal collections or in
established repositories that do not plan to digitise their
collections. If so, please provide as much detail as you can about the
number and type of recordings (reel to reel, cassette, DAT etc), the
content, and the state of their current storage. Can you provide
information about who to contact about these collections?

2. Do you know of collections whose catalogs are not available through
federated searches (that is, they are only available if you visit
their website and not anywhere else on the web) and for which we could
provide a reference to make it easier to find them?

3. Do you know of repositories of manuscripts that have received
little attention from linguists but which are likely, in your opinion,
to have linguistic records in them? These may include, for example,
missionary archives or State administrative archives.

4. Please include your name and contact email so we can follow up with
you if necessary (email addresses will not be added to any lists).