[RNLD] More help with ELAN

Aidan Wilson aidan.wilson at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Tue Oct 2 04:35:13 UTC 2012

Hey folks,

I have yet another question regarding ELAN. I'm trying to annotate my
recordings for langauge, as the recordings contain a mix of two languages, and
tagging utterances for whether they're in language x or y is going to be very
important. The problem is that most of the time, a single utterance will
contain elements from either language. So without splitting my current
annotations, I need to figure out a way of having a child tier segment an
annotation within the segment that the parent tier has. I don't know if this
makes sense, so here's an example of what I want:

> [ngiya abim basic card arra]
> [I     have basic card that]

Is this possible with the different linguistic types and stereotypes available?

Cheers,

--
Aidan Wilson

School of Languages and Linguistics