[RNLD] More help with ELAN

Andrea L. Berez andrea.berez at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 2 04:47:29 UTC 2012

Hi Aidan,

Yes. If you want those child tiers to be time-alignable to the exact words
on the recording too, create a linguistic type with the stereotype "Time
Subdivision".

If you don't need the child tiers to be time-alignable to exact words on
the recording, create a linguistic type with the stereotype "Symbolic
Subdivision."

Note that both of these types will completely fill the timeline of the
parent annotations, meaning that you can't have a child tier with some
"empty" time underneath the parent annotation. If that's something you want
-- a child tier with possible time gaps under the parent annotation (say if
you were only creating a special tier for pulling out one of the languages
into its own tier, but not both) -- then you should create a linguistic
type with the stereotype of "Included In".

Hope this helps,
Andrea

--
Andrea L. Berez
Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics