[RNLD] Digitizing tapes - what's the current best practice?

Paul Trilsbeek Paul.Trilsbeek at MPI.NL
Wed Oct 17 12:18:00 UTC 2012

Hello Mark,

I would recommend buying a good quality USB audio interface with two line level inputs. I don't know what your budget is, there are very good interfaces for around 600-800 euro (e.g. Sound Devices, RME, MOTU or (if you're on a Mac) Apogee) and there are adequate ones for 150-300 euro (e.g. M-audio, Edirol, Presonus, Tascam). Some of these will provide unbalanced 1/4 inch jack or RCA inputs, which suit the output of most cassette decks. Some provide balanced XLR or 1/4 inch jack inputs, which suit the output of a few high end professional cassette decks but can also accommodate unbalanced RCA outputs (best by using a proper cable to go from unbalanced RCA to balanced 1/4 inch jack or XLR, see http://www.rane.com/note110.html )

Recording at 24 bit 96 kHz is overkill for audio cassette tapes in my opinion. Their dynamic range and frequency response are well within what you can already capture with 16 bit 48 kHz recordings, if you adjust the recording level properly.

Best regards,

Paul Trilsbeek
Archive Manager
The Language Archive
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics
Wundtlaan 1
6525XD Nijmegen
The Netherlands
Tel. +31 24 3521203