[RNLD] Toolbox and crossover

King, Dr Alexander D. a.king at ABDN.AC.UK
Mon Sep 10 19:24:53 UTC 2012

I have tried this, and I still have the display problem. The text is there when I open the files in simple text, and there seem to be characters that take up space, but most are invisible. I am using the latest version of wine and winebottler and OS 10.8.

I am thinking that the best alternative may be investing in setting up Parallels Desktop. I was just talking to a colleague raving about FLEx performance on her Mac with Parallels installed.

Has anyone had success running Unix versions of FLEx (or other SIL software) on a Mac?

-Alex

On 6 Sep 2012, at 8:14 pm, Nick Thieberger <thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU> wrote:

> Test versions that fix the display problem on Wine 1.4 and
> CrossoverMac 11 are now on the Toolbox test page.
> http://www.sil.org/computing/toolbox/test.htm
>
> Toolbox development
>
> On Friday, August 24, 2012 9:34:52 PM UTC-4, ToolboxSupport wrote:
>>
>> The Toolbox development team has been working on the Wine and CrossoverMac display problems for a couple of months now. It appears we are close to a test version that solves most of the problems. Hopefully it will be available before the end of August.
>>
>> It appears that recent versions of Wine do not handle display correctly when Windows Unicode rendering is used in display. This problem appears in Linux with Wine 1.4 and in Mac with CrossoverMac 11. On Mac changing from Crossover Mac to WineBottler solved the problem because WineBottler uses an older version of Wine. But WineBottler does not work correctly on Mountain Lion and Lion.
>>
>> The fix will be a version for Wine that does not call the Windows rendering functions. This change will not affect most users because Windows rendering is mostly used in non-Roman scripts. Users who need the Windows rendering can get it by running under Parallels or Virtual PC or a similar environment.
>>
>> Toolbox development

Senior Lecturer - University of Aberdeen, School of Social Sciences,  AB24 3QY, UK, +44(1224) 272732

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology/staff/details.php?id=a.king
http://www.koryaks.net/
Tweet @Ememqut01

Editor, Sibirica: Interdisciplinary Journal of Siberian Studies: http://journals.berghahnbooks.com/sib/