[RNLD] ELAN tiers and types

Aidan Wilson aidan.wilson at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Sep 12 08:06:24 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm having immense trouble with a collection of transcripts I'm building at the
moment. I have never been successful in creating hierarchies of tiers. Ideally,
I want to have a hierarchy like this:

-[initials]
 	–transcription
 	-morpheme gloss
 	-free translation
 	-action

for each participant. In reading through the manuals and so forth, I've created
linguistic types like 'group' (for the outermost parent tier), transcription,
morpheme gloss and so on, but what's happening when I create my tiers is that
by trying to select a parent tier, the 'linguistic type' pull-down menu
disappears and the 'add' button goes grey. It only allow me to create tiers (or
change existing tiers) if I don't plan on nesting them, it seems.

Has someone got a link to instructions, or even better, a working template than
I can reverse-engineer?

What I'm hoping to do is go through my transcripts with a text editor and
manually nest them by editing the xml (unless I can figure out how to
retrospectively nest them), but I need to know the structure of the eaf file.

This is bringing me to tears, as it were.

--
Aidan Wilson

Dept of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
The University of Melbourne

+61428 458 969
aidan.wilson at unimelb.edu.au