[RNLD] ELAN tiers and types

John Mansfield jbmansfield at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 12 08:29:14 UTC 2012

Hi Aidan,

I've messed about with ELAN xml a bit, and found the following to be the
essence of how the hierarchies are coded.

Linguistic type elements at the bottom of the xml determine which are
"master" (alignable) types and which are dependents, either as symbolic
subdivisions or symbolic associations. E.g.:

<LINGUISTIC_TYPE GRAPHIC_REFERENCES="false" LINGUISTIC_TYPE_ID="po
(practical orthography)" *TIME_ALIGNABLE="true*"/>
  <LINGUISTIC_TYPE CONSTRAINTS="*Symbolic_Subdivision*"
GRAPHIC_REFERENCES="false" LINGUISTIC_TYPE_ID="mb (morpheme boundaries)"
TIME_ALIGNABLE="false"/>
    <LINGUISTIC_TYPE CONSTRAINTS="*Symbolic_Subdivision*"
GRAPHIC_REFERENCES="false" LINGUISTIC_TYPE_ID="gl (interlinear gloss)"
TIME_ALIGNABLE="false"/>
    <LINGUISTIC_TYPE CONSTRAINTS="*Symbolic_Association*"
GRAPHIC_REFERENCES="false" LINGUISTIC_TYPE_ID="tf (free translation)"
TIME_ALIGNABLE="false"/>

Then the actual tiers reference each other to form the hierarchy. A master
tier is like this:

<TIER DEFAULT_LOCALE="en" LINGUISTIC_TYPE_REF="po (practical orthography)"
PARTICIPANT="Bob" TIER_ID="po at Bob"> ... </TIER>

... And a dependent is like this:

<TIER DEFAULT_LOCALE="en" LINGUISTIC_TYPE_REF="tf (free translation)" *
PARENT_REF="po at Bob"* PARTICIPANT="Bob" TIER_ID="tf at Bob">

But the referencing of dependents to masters also works on the level of
individual annotations. A master annotation looks like this:

<ANNOTATION>
            <ALIGNABLE_*ANNOTATION
ANNOTATION_ID="a421"*TIME_SLOT_REF1="ts256" TIME_SLOT_REF2="ts260">
                <ANNOTATION_VALUE>nangkal nyini-yu</ANNOTATION_VALUE>
            </ALIGNABLE_ANNOTATION>
        </ANNOTATION>

And one of it's dependents like this:

<ANNOTATION>
            <REF_ANNOTATION ANNOTATION_ID="a781" *ANNOTATION_REF="a421"*>
                <ANNOTATION_VALUE>who was that?</ANNOTATION_VALUE>
            </REF_ANNOTATION>
        </ANNOTATION>

You will also notice that the master annotation references two TIME_SLOT
elements, that give its start and end points.

I hope that helps. I'll separately send you an example file.