[RNLD] What's missing?

Adriano Truscott adrianotruscott at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 19 08:43:54 UTC 2012

Hi Piers and all,

I'd put Nick T's Handbook of WA languages on there, too.

>From a different academic angle, I'd love something interactive for schools (primary esp) that I could build in to our learning across the curriculum and that encourages critical thinking etc - see studyladder.com.au for a free online resource for general school subjects for an (but not the best) example.   Of course, it would have to be totally local and there are all the matters that need to be considered with respect to control/access etc, but if I had a wish, it'd be that.

Please make it true :)

Adriano

From: aidan.wilson at unimelb.edu.au
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:29:13 +1000
To: r-n-l-d at unimelb.edu.au
Subject: Re: [RNLD] What's missing?

Regarding ibooks author, I remember reading that the ELUA is quite strict, to the point where ebooks produced cannot be distributed outside of iTunes. I can't remember all the details but I would look into it before using it to write stuff. I think exporting the content (which you always control) isn't made terribly simple either.

I've been looking into scrivener lately, and it looks promising.
--
Aidan Wilson
School of Languages and Linguistics

+61428 458 969
aidan.wilson at unimelb.edu.au
@aidanbwilson

Doug Marmion <doug.marmion at gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jasmin,

Have you looked at iBooks Author? I'm not sure it's possible to repurpose iBooks for print, but the application is free so worth trying out.

http://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/

Apparently the file format is based on epub3 but with a few proprietary extensions--there's some debate over whether this is good or bad (Amazon's Kindle file format is also proprietary).

regards,
doug

On 19/09/2012, at 5:44 PM, Jasmin Morley <jasmin.morley at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> If I had a web-based wish it would be an online publishing site. People I work with want to make ebooks (readers, song books, etc...) that they can sell on itunes. Wouldn't it be great if there was somewhere they could set up a private or group account, and upload texts, images and other media
create a book (the way some websites let you make your own photo books). Then they could either publish it as an ebook or order print copies from a cheap printer or publisher.
> Jasmin

particular demand out there for a web-based resource that is not already being met by these sites?

> If Tinkerbell granted you one web-based wish what would it be?  Eg, Do we need a broad public discussion forum for languages? More email lists? Something else?
>

> Site
>
> Service
>
> Main audience
>
> RNLD
>
> Archived email list for issues in language endangerment and technical questions about language documentation; links, news etc
>
> Linguists, language activists
>
> AIATSIS
>
> Austlang, Aseda, Ozbib, Language and People Thesaurus, etc.
>
> Speakers, linguists
>
> Language centre websites (various)
>
> Information about Australian languages at a regional level. Some have online dictionaries and other resources.
>
> Speakers,
public