[RNLD] What's missing?

Andrew Cunningham lang.support at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 19 12:32:40 UTC 2012

Lulu is a POD service that you can provide  fully typeset PDF file to. They
do support certain ebook formats as well, but tend to be limited.

But this is the last step in the process, and there may be needs for
supporting other formats, whether it is PDf based ebooks, as distinct from
print ready PDFs, mobi, ePub2, ePub3, Daisy, new Kindle format, HTML for
integration into websites or web services.

The key issue is having a tool that is simple to use for end users,
allowing them to add content and generate the type of files they require.

Andrew
On Sep 19, 2012 10:10 PM, "Claire Bowern" <clairebowern at gmail.com> wrote:

> lulu.com will do this - is that the sort of thing you're after?
> Claire
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Andrew Cunningham <lang.support at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Jasmin,
>>
>> That is possible. We've been looking at something similar. It would need
>> an intermediatory file format that could then be converted to various ebook
>> formats and to a appropriately typeset PDF file for print on demand
>> services. The necessary building blocks and conversion tools exist.
>>
>> Initial steps are to build a simple to use GUI for authoring the content
>> in the intermediatory format (probably xml based)  and develop XSLT and
>> XSL:FO files or leverage of existing conversion tools.
>>
>> A.
>> On Sep 19, 2012 5:44 PM, "Jasmin Morley" <jasmin.morley at adelaide.edu.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>  If I had a web-based wish it would be an online publishing site.
>>> People I work with want to make ebooks (readers, song books, etc...) that
>>> they can sell on itunes. Wouldn't it be great if there was somewhere they
>>> could set up a private or group account, and upload texts, images and other
>>> media to create a book (the way some websites let you make your own photo
>>> books). Then they could either publish it as an ebook or order print copies
>>> from a cheap printer or publisher.