[RNLD] Linguistics in the Pub 23rd April 2013: Things you can do part 2

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 10 01:43:15 UTC 2013

Announcement: Linguistics in the Pub 23rd April 2013

Topic: Things you can do with outputs from language documentation projects
- part 2

In the March LIP discussion we only got through the first of the two topics
planned so we will discuss the second topic in April. In March we looked at
how language documentation project outputs can be used to make publications
for speakers, their descendants and the general public. So in April, we'll
be talking about the second topic; how language documentation project
outputs are being exploited as a resource for research. The relevant part
of the March LIP announcement is repeated below.

Language documentation projects make recordings and annotate them to
produce a set of materials on an endangered language. The aim of these
projects is often simply to produce a good record of the language and then
archive it. But once a well put together set of materials has been made, it
can be used in a range of ways. Understanding how these collections are
used can help us think about how best to design them.

 Language documentation materials can be a source of data for linguists and
other researchers. For example, quantitative methods that require corpora
are now being applied not only to large corpora of major world languages
but also smaller corpora of languages that are often endangered. Language
documentation materials often have enough data to answer a range of
research questions. The kinds of questions that can be asked also depend on
way the corpus is annotated. In addition, this kind of research can be
cross-linguistic, combining data from a number of corpora.

See for example contributions to: Potentials of Language Documentation:
Methods, Analyses, and Utilization <http://www.nflrc.hawaii.edu/ldc/sp03/>.
Language Documentation & Conservation Special Publication No. 3, Edited by
Frank Seifart, Geoffrey Haig, Nikolaus P. Himmelmann, Dagmar Jung, Anna
Margetts, and Paul Trilsbeek, 2012

See also the description of the conference Information Structure in Spoken
Language Corpora <http://www.uni-bielefeld.de/(en)/lili/tagung/ISSLaC/> to
be held in Bielefeld, June 2013, which focuses on small corpora.

Please bring along other examples of things you can do with language
documentation materials.

Time:      6:00 - 8:00 pm
Venue:    Upstairs room, Prince Alfred Hotel,

191 Grattan St, Carlton
(corner of Bouverie St)
ph ‪(03) 9347-3033‬‎

NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE ; back to usual venue after a stint at Naughtons late
last year

Food and drinks available at the venue

Contact  Ruth Singer if you have any questions rsinger at unimelb.edu.au

LIP is an occasional gathering of language activists and linguists in
Melbourne. All are welcome. Those in other parts of Australia and the
world who can't make it to the Melbourne LIPs are encouraged to
organise a local gathering to discuss this topic and support language
activities in your area.

--
Ruth Singer
ARC Research Fellow