[RNLD] Linguistics in the Pub May 2013 Community engagement

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 30 02:22:21 UTC 2013

Announcement: Linguistics in the Pub May 2013

Topic: Models of community engagement in language documentation

At ICLDC4 <http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/icldc/2013> in Hawaii a couple of months
ago there were a number of papers that addressed the relationship linguists
have with the communities they work with, and how we can collaborate with
these communities. Laura
Robinson<https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/26090>
presented
data from a survey that showed collaborative efforts were more likely to
occur in Australian and North American contexts, while Joseph
Brooks<https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/26126>
showed
a very different cultural model of working with linguists held by the Hua
of PNG. Presentations about projects in Japan (Toshihide Nakayama and
Tsuyoshi Ono <https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/26125>)
and Nepal (Lauren Gawne and Barbara
Kelly<https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/26080>)
showed that not all communities have the kinds of structures or levels of
interest to necessarily support the kind of community-engagement projects
that are currently seen as a desirable component of language documentation
projects.

This month at LIP we want to talk about the ways in which we build
community engagement into language documentation projects, and the relative
success of different models in different locations. Is community engagement
necessary to language documentation projects, and how do we measure the
success of such endeavours?

Time:      6:00 - 8:00 pm
Venue:    Upstairs room, Prince Alfred Hotel,

191 Grattan St, Carlton
(corner of Bouverie St)
ph ‪(03) 9347-3033‬‎

NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE ; back to usual venue after a stint at Naughtons late
last year

Food and drinks available at the venue

LIP is organised by Ruth Singer and Lauren Gawne (University of Melbourne)

Contact  Ruth Singer if you have any questions rsinger at unimelb.edu.au

LIP is an occasional gathering of language activists and linguists
in Melbourne. All are welcome. Those in other parts of Australia and
the world who can't make it to the Melbourne LIPs are encouraged
to organise a local gathering to discuss this topic and support
language activities in your area.

--
Ruth Singer
ARC Research Fellow