[RNLD] Video archiving formats

Steffen Haurholm-Larsen shaurholml at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 14 05:34:08 UTC 2013

I'm not aware of any archive that accepts uncompressed file formats. And
even if they did, in my experience the common applications that people use
for annotating and viewing such as ELAN and Quicktime are not happy with
such large files.

For my own language documentation deposit at ELAR I have used MP4 and I
know of others who do the same. MP4 looks quite nice - of course the
important thing is to make sure that you do not compress the audio in the
process. Personally I use a free application called Handbrake for my
compression needs. Make sure to do this before doing any annotation /
translation. This also goes for clipping - basically the file should be the
end product before you start annotation, otherwise you might run into
problems later.

Best,
Steffen Haurholm-Larsen
Universität Bern